Beginning as a small rural village in the 19th century with an economy driven by fruit agriculture, Cupertino today is a vibrant city of some 58,000, a large portion of whom work in technology industries. In fact, a number of high-tech companies are headquartered here including Apple. Cupertino lies on the western edge of the Santa Clara Valley, directly west of San Jose. Alive with energy and rich in diversity, the city offers a high standard of living but with much of the flavor of a smaller community. While shopping and dining opportunities abound, Cupertino has no traditional downtown or main street.
Families relocate here for many reasons, not the least of which are some of the best schools in Silicon Valley and elementary schools, in particular, that rank among the best in the United States. In fact, Murdock-Portal and Faria elementary schools in 2011 tied for the highest API test scores among all public elementary schools in California.
Everyone enjoys the relaxed atmosphere that Cupertino provides along with easy access to ever-vibrant San Jose, whose 984,000 population makes it America's 10th largest city. And with San Francisco a quick 45 miles away, there’s never a lack of things to do, places to see and people to meet.
Cupertino fast facts:
- Size: 11.3 square miles.
- Population density: 5,200 per square mile.
- Cupertino real estate median sale price – single family home: $1,410,925; condo/townhome: $760,000.
- Median household income (est.): above $160,000.
- Average high temperature – July, August: 82; average low – December, January: 42.
- Apple will spend an estimated $5 billion on a second campus expected to open in mid-2016 with up to 13,000 employees.
- Top employers: Apple (34,300 in the area); Oracle (8,000 in the area); Foothill-De Anza Community College District (3,100); and Hewlett-Packard (3,000).
- The Cupertino Effect is a tech term for when a spell checker suggests or autocorrects a misspelled word in a document with inappropriate words. Older spell checkers regularly replaced “cooperation” with “Cupertino.”
With luxury living at its finest, outstanding schools, lovely parks and plenty of invigorating social and professional activities, Cupertino just might be the ideal place to begin your new, wonderful life.