Menlo Park technically was founded by a pair of Irish immigrants in the mid-1800s, when they bought a tract of land and on a gate hung a sign that said “Menlo Park.” Menlo was the name of their hometown in County Galway, Ireland. Now well into its second century, this is a thriving city of 32,000 and was ranked 15th by CNNMoney on its “Best Places for the Rich and Single” list. The classy yet playful urban atmosphere caters to people who like to do things, and there’s plenty to do in Menlo Park. Fine restaurants, great shopping destinations and a selection of vivacious bars and nightclubs keep both residents and visitors entertained all year. A community that places a high value on eco-friendly practices, Menlo park offers both luxury and convenience to those seeking the best life has to offer.
Residents here are among the most educated in the country, with close to 70 percent having earned advanced academic degrees. Children attend schools that foster this kind of high performance and success. Three of those schools – Hillview and La Entrada middle schools and Oak Knoll elementary – received Great Schools perfect 10 scores based on test results.
Menlo Park is home to both the old and new. Facebook’s headquarters is here, for example, while across town, California’s oldest operating train station, Menlo Park Station, serves passengers daily. As new children learn to play in gorgeous, tree-shrouded neighborhoods, marks on the world are being made by older Menlo Park “children” like Joan Baez, Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac, and Google cofounder Sergey Brin.
Menlo Park fast facts
- Size: 17.4 square miles.
- Population density: 3,271 per square mile.
- Menlo Park real estate median sale price – single family home: $1,477,500; condo/townhome: $852,250.
- Median household income (est.): $103,658.
- Average high temperature – July, September: 80; average low – December: 38.
- Top employers (based on number of employees) include Oracle, SRI International, Tyco Electronics, Intuit and Pacific Biosciences.
- Google was founded in Menlo Park on Sept. 7, 1998 and has since moved to Mountain View.
- Menlo Park is home to the Barron-Latham-Hopkins Gate Lodge, listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. It’s the oldest existing structure in Menlo Park and California’s only remaining gatehouse.
What does Menlo Park hold in store for you? With its exciting nightlife, lush neighborhoods, proximity to vibrant San Jose and San Francisco and a standard of living that’s rarely matched throughout the country, you just may find that this is the ideal place to build a beautiful life.