Once covered in orchards and vineyards, Mountain View began as a stagecoach stop and an agricultural center for the lush Santa Clara Valley. Today, 74,000 residents enjoy the good life in this city that was named for its view of the Santa Cruz Mountains. It is bordered by Sunnyvale, Los Altos, Palo Alto and the gorgeous San Francisco Bay. Shockley Semiconductor Laboratory was launched in Mountain View in 1956. Headed by William Shockley, it was the first developer of silicon semiconductor devices and surely played a part in the naming of “Silicon Valley,” which is home to Mountain View and a number of sister communities.
Mountain View offers a variety of outstanding schools including 2013 California Distinguished Schools recipients Graham Middle School and Los Altos High School, which is part of the Mountain View-Los Altos Union High School District. Following a solid education, young people may choose to work for a number of local companies you may have heard of: Google, Microsoft, AOL, Mozilla Corporation, Intuit, Symantec, Dell KACE and many others.
Mountain View residents are never at a loss for things to do. Fine dining, special events, concerts, swimming and watersports, theater and all the shopping you can handle are just of the few of ways you’ll be enjoying yourself when you make Mountain View your home.
Mountain View fast facts:
- Size: 12.3 square miles.
- Population density: 6,000 per square mile.
- Mountain View real estate median sale price – single family home: $1,260,000; condo/townhome: $630,000.
- Median household income (est.): $82,648.
- Average high temperature – July & September: 80; average low – December: 38.
- Thanks in part to the advent of the electronics and aerospace industries, Mountain View's population grew from 6,563 in 1950 to 30,889 in 1960.
- CNNMoney placed Mountain View as a contender in its Top 100 Best Places to Live in America, small cities category, 2012.
- Chez TJ, one of the few Michelin-rated restaurants in the Bay Area, is located downtown on Villa Street. Next door is Tied House, one of the Bay Area’s first brewpubs.
Is your future in Mountain View? If you’re looking for a community-minded city with pristine neighborhoods, excellent schools, abounding recreation and fine dining and entertainment, we’d love to welcome you home.