Portola Valley is among the wealthiest communities in the United States and ranks as the sixth-wealthiest in California. Lush, green and gorgeous, it’s located on the eastern slope of the Peninsula Coastal Range of the Santa Cruz Mountains, near the heart of Silicon Valley. The town’s population of 4,353 includes 1,426 who live in the unincorporated town of Ladera, adjacent to Portola Valley. Ladera is a lovely residential community of about 520 homes. Together, their tree-lined streets, flowering meadows, extensive trail systems, limited commercial activity and some of the finest homes in America make Portola Valley and Ladera the perfect places to raise a family and grow a life.
A high-quality lifestyle is important, and for families, so is a high-quality education for their children. Powerful learning opportunities are provided at the town’s two award-winning public elementary schools and three private schools. All programs are geared toward developing in students the highest standards of excellence.
While Portola Valley and Ladera are peaceful and serene communities, life here is anything but same-old, with a huge menu of special events, concerts, activities, fine dining and shopping going on in neighboring cities including San Francisco and America’s 10th largest city, San Jose. Living in Portola Valley means combining everything that makes life grand.
Portola Valley fast facts:
- Size: 9 square miles.
- Population density: 480 per square mile.
- Portola Valley real estate median sale price – single family home: $2,200,000.
- Median household income (est.): $244,771.
- Average high temperature – July, August: 82; average low – December, January: 42.
- The town of Portola Valley as well as the City of Portola in Plumas County, Calif., and the Portola Place neighborhood of San Francisco were all named after Spanish explorer Gaspar de Portola, who led a team to explore the San Francisco Peninsula in 1769.
- The original Portola Valley School is listed on the U.S. Register of Historic Places.
- Portola Valley Elementary School District is among the few (if any) school districts to have named a school after a racehorse – Ormonde (Ormondale School).
If you’re looking for a secluded, exclusive community where you can build the life of your dreams while enjoying all the things magnificent Silicon Valley has to offer, you’ll find few better zip codes than the one in Portola Valley.