Sunnyvale, sometimes called “The City of Destiny” was incorporated in 1912, but its history goes back much further than that. In 1842, Francisco Estrada and his wife, Inez Castro, were granted a section of land known as Rancho Pastoria de las Borregas, which would later become Sunnyvale and Mountain View. Sunnyvale today is a bustling city of 140,000, with an economy based heavily in technology (Yahoo headquarters is here), biotech, aerospace, communications and manufacturing. The seventh-most populated city in the San Francisco Bay area, Sunnyvale has borders with San Jose, Mountain View, Los Altos, Cupertino and Santa Clara. Cultural diversity, lovely neighborhoods, year-round fantastic weather and a very high standard of living set Sunnyvale apart from most communities in the United States. In fact, many individuals and families relocate here for these very reasons.
Parents are attracted to Sunnyvale because of its outstanding educational opportunities for their children in grades K through 12. Finding the ideal school isn’t hard with school districts in Sunnyvale as well as Cupertino and Santa Clara serving Sunnyvale residents.
Adding to the high quality of a Sunnyvale lifestyle are plenty of attractions and adventures including golfing on a regulation 18-hole course, Sunnyvale Heritage Park Museum, lovely parks and a huge list of places to eat and shop. And don’t forget San Francisco, and America’s 14th largest city, San Jose, just short drives away.
Sunnyvale fast facts:
- Size: 22.7 square miles.
- Population density: 6,200 per square mile.
- Sunnyvale real estate median sale price – single family home: $1,017,500; condo/townhome: $637,500.
- Median household income (est.): $93,836.
- Average high temperature – July, August: 82; average low – December, January: 42.
- In 1972, the first prototype of the computer game “Pong” debuted at Andy Capp’s Tavern (now Rooster T. Feathers) and is considered to have launched the video game craze.
- In 1977, Sunnyvale native Steve Wozniak introduced Apple II, which became the first highly successful personal computer.
- Sunnyvale is one of the few U.S. cities where all Department of Public Safety personnel engaged in safety and service positions are trained as police officers, firefighters and emergency medical technicians.
- A 2011 Gallup survey ranked the area comprised of Sunnyvale, San Jose and Santa Clara as the third-happiest in the nation.
Sunnyvale is the perfect community for singles, couples and families who like being happy and appreciate upscale living, fine dining and shopping and plenty to see and do. We’d love to have you as our newest neighbor.