A town of just 5,287, Woodside’s average household income is $222,986, placing it behind only Atherton among Silicon Valley communities. It lies on the San Francisco Peninsula near Redwood City, Menlo Park, Portola Valley and Atherton. As its name implies, Woodside is lush with trees, particularly redwood, oak and eucalyptus. It offers exclusive northern California living at its best. Woodside is home to many professionals who are leaders in industries ranging from high tech to investment to entertainment. Much of their work may take place in neighboring Silicon Valley cities – or in distant parts of the world – but they always come back to Woodside, a palatial residential community they’re happy to call home.
Parents in Woodside are success-driven, and they want their children to have opportunities for their own success when they grow up. Not surprisingly, the town provides children with an excellent education at its single-district elementary and middle school. With both schools focusing heavily on Common Core State Standards, Woodside Elementary School received Great Schools' highest rating possible based on test scores, a perfect 10.
Woodside was incorporated in 1956, with the goal of maintaining a residential atmosphere, which it has accomplished through the years. But an active lifestyle is right around the corner: special events, sports, shopping, fine dining, camping, boating and anything else you can name can befound within the many nearby cities scattered throughout the San Francisco Bay area. Maybe it’s time you made your way to Woodside.
Woodside fast facts:
- Size: 11.7 square miles.
- Population density: 450 per square mile.
- Woodside real estate median sale price – single family home: $1,995,000; condo/townhome: $840,000.
- Median household income (est.): $207,780.
- Average high temperature – July: 89; average low – December: 36.
- In 1849, Mathias Alfred Parkhurst bought 127 acres of woods here and named it Woodside. The town is considered the oldest English-speaking settlement in the south San Francisco Peninsula.
- The Filoli Estate in Woodside is the mansion seen in a flyover during the opening credits of the TV show Dynasty. Interiors of the estate were featured in early episodes before filming was transferred to Fox Studios.
- Notable residents who live or have lived in Woodside include Joan Baez, Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs, Charles R. Schwab, Michelle Pfeiffer, Shirley Temple and Neil Young.
When it comes to high-end living in some of the most elegant properties available in northern California, you’d be hard-pressed to beat what Woodside has to offer. Consider joining others who have found the home and the lifestyle they’ve always longed for. Consider Woodside.