People move to – and stay in – Silicon Valley for a long list of reasons. High on the list for families is the outstanding educational opportunities offered in our public school districts. One way of measuring the quality of these opportunities is the California Distinguished Schools rankings, released each year and naming the schools whose students have truly set themselves apart through exceptional academic performance. Established in 1985, the Distinguished School recognition is bestowed on approximately five percent of schools. The program alternates annually between elementary schools and secondary (middle/high) schools. The California State Board of Education gives the award to schools whose educational programs have been judged to be exemplary in meeting the absolute highest standards.
The 2013 California Distinguished Schools list includes 213 schools throughout the state. Of that number, 27 are right here in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties.
Here is the local list for 2013. School district is first, followed by the name(s) of the schools, which are in bold.
- Burlingame Elementary, Burlingame Intermediate
- Jefferson Elementary, Fernando Rivera Intermediate
- Millbrae Elementary, Taylor Middle
- San Carlos Elementary, Tierra Linda Middle
- San Mateo-Foster City, Bowditch Middle
- Sequoia Union High, Menlo-Atherton High
Santa Clara County
- Cupertino Union, John F. Kennedy Middle, Sam H. Lawson Middle, Cupertino Union, Warren E. Hyde Middle
- East Side Union High, KIPP San Jose Collegiate
- Evergreen Elementary, Quimby Oak Middle
- Fremont Union High, Lynbrook High, Monta Vista High
- Gilroy Unified, Ascencion Solorsano Middle, Dr. T. J. Owens Gilroy Early College
- Los Altos Elementary, Georgina P. Blach Junior High
- Los Gatos Union Elementary, Raymond J. Fisher Middle
- Los Gatos-Saratoga Joint Union, Los Gatos High, Saratoga High
- Milpitas Unified, Milpitas High, Rancho Milpitas Middle
- Mountain View Whisman, Isaac Newton Graham Middle
- Mountain View-Los Altos Union, Los Altos High
- Oak Grove Elementary, Bernal Intermediate
- Saratoga Union Elementary, Redwood Middle
- Union Elementary, Union Middle
Looking at this list, there’s no doubt that some of the state’s top educational experiences can be found in Silicon Valley. If you’re considering moving to our beautiful region and would like to know more about the schools here, I’d be happy to help you. Call me at (650) 947-2942. In the meantime, take a look at a sampling of cities and towns in the valley on our Neighborhoods Served page.
Interested in buying or selling real estate in Silicon Valley? Explore the possibilities.