Atherton is one of the premier residential communities in the United States, with a population of just 6,914 and a median annual household income of $250,000. It’s the current or former home of a long list of notables who have made their marks in sports, technology, entertainment, music, investing and other fields. Located in San Mateo County and considered part of the San Francisco metropolitan area, Atherton’s closest neighbor is Menlo Park, with Redwood City two miles to the northwest. It’s a close-knit community with a number of organizations dedicated to preserving a very high standard of living.
Top-flight education is a tradition in Atherton and its surrounding communities. Menlo-Atherton High School was named a 2013 California Distinguished School, and Encinal, Las Lomitas and Laurel elementary schools in Menlo Park, where many Atherton children attend school, all received Great Schools perfect 10 ratings based on test scores.
While primarily a town comprised of single-family homes, Atherton residents enjoy a wealth of activities in neighboring cities. San Francisco is a quick 40 minutes away, and America’s 10th largest city, San Jose, is just 22 miles to the southeast. For luxury living at its absolute finest and virtually everything one might wish for within an easy driving distance, Atherton is clearly the address of choice.
Atherton fast facts:
- Size: 5 square miles.
- Population density: 1,369 per square mile.
- Atherton real estate median sale price – single family home: $3,502,500.
- Median household income (est.): $250,000.
- Average high temperature – July: 82; average low – December, January: 40.
- Atherton’s median household income of $250,000 is the highest in the United States.
- The town is named after Faxon Dean Atherton, one of the first property owners on the south peninsula and a trader in tallow, hides and merchandise. The town of Atherton was incorporated in 1923.
- Notable current or former residents include Ty Cobb, Willie Mays, Jerry Rice, Lindsey Buckingham, Shirley Temple and Meg Whitman.
With one of the highest standards of living in the U.S., Atherton is a sought-after residential community you’d be proud to call home. Lush, tree-shrouded properties, a wonderful year-round climate and plenty to see and do in nearby Silicon Valley communities are just part of the appeal of this lovely town.